Historical Thayer Inn
“Thayer’s White Mountain Hotel”
In 1843, Henry Lowell Thayer (1817-1892) owner of an adjacent general store secured this lot for a hotel. By 1850, local builders Andrew Scott and Jonathan Nurs had created an eclectic masterpiece that set a standard of scale and style for the 19th century Main Street architecture. The entry portico has Italian-style balconies braced by scroll consoles. A fluted Doric colonnade supports a Greek Revival pediment with a Gothic Revival window. The roof, topped by a lantern-style, Italian cupola is punctuated by formal dormers that echo the Classical facade. With running water and a spiral staircase, Thayer’s was both modern and elegant. It typified the transitional hostelries that displaced rustic taverns and presaged the region’s Grand Hotels. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1982.
“A Legendary Landmark”
When “Daddy” Thayer’s Hotel opened on January 14, 1850, its intended patrons were rail-borne travelers. In 1853, train service began, and Thayer’s ornate coach met this new breed of guests at the station. When tourism boomed, the Hotel was hub to many coach lines and a vaunted landmark for visiting dignitaries. Thayer’s White Mountain Hotel passed through the Grand Hotel era, became Thayer’s Hotel by 1900 and entered the automobile age. New trends in leisure and the onset of prohibition called for ingenuity and in 1928, motion picture impresario John B. “Jack” Eames (1891-1951) acquired sole ownership of Thayer’s updated its amenities and preserved its historic charm. The elegance of the hand carved scroll work on the front of Thayers and the spiral staircase so impressed Henry Ford that he tried, without success, to buy them for his Dearborn Museum. An interesting note is that General Sylvanus Thayer “The Father of West Point” was related to “Daddy” Thayer. Their forefathers arrived in Massachusetts from England c. 1635. Thayer’s apostrophe was dropped in the 1930s. The property was sold in 1969. After a succession of owners, the Hotel was repurchased in 1984 by the Eames Family and renamed Thayers Inn in 1985. Don and Carolyn Lambert were appointed as Innkeepers and the partnership between the Lamberts and the Eames family has sustained the legacy of Thayers as a respected hostelry and architectural treasure.
“Host to History”
Thayers Inn has welcomed countless guests over the years. Among them have been the famous (and the infamous). A brief listing includes visiting Presidents Ulysses S. Grant, Franklin Pierce, Richard Nixon and Jimmy Carter. Also stopping here were presidential aspirants General George B. McClellan, Governor Nelson Rockefeller, Governor Estes Ketauver, Governor George Romney, Senator Barry Goldwater, Senator Harold Stassen, Senate Majority Leader Robert Dole, author and political commentator Patrick Buchanan, and Senator Bill Bradley. New Hampshire Governors Sherman Adams and Hugh Gallen frequented Thayers as did Littleton native Robert C. Hill who served as the United States ambassador to five different countries (Costa Rica, El Salvador, Mexico, Spain and Argentina). Other guests include P.T. Barnum accompanied by “General” Tom Thumb, Publisher Horace Greely, Henry Ford, the notorious millionaire playboy Harry K. Thaw, arctic explorer Commander Robert E. Peary, WWII General Tomoyuki Yamashita, “The Tiger of Manila” who lived at Thayers for the three months in 1940 while on a spy mission in the White Mountains on behalf of Japanese Intelligence, movie star Bette Davis, song writer Ed Bruce (Mama. Don’t Let Your Babies Grow Up to be Cowboys) and author Michael Blake (Dances with Wolves).
Source: Building Plaque