As part of our building history series, today we take a look at the Memorial School in Pittsfield, New Hampshire:
In 1838 the Calvinist Baptist Church was moved to this site from the Pittsfield Common. In 1854 a new church was erected (its bell rests on the lawn) but was razed in 1909 to make way for the Memorial School. This building was a gift of Gov. & Mrs. Hiram Tuttle in honor of their deceased daughter. It served as a school until 1989 and later housed the Pittsfield District Court and police station.
Source: Building Plaque