As part of our weekly building history series, today we take a look at the Cotton Mill in Pittsfield, New Hampshire:
In 1826 James Joy formed Pittsfield Mrg., Inc. and built a five-story wooden mill on this spot. It burned the next year but immediately was reconstructed of bricks made near Webster’s Mills and operated until 1948. In 1951 it was converted into a tannery. In 1995 the entire building was destroyed by fire and the present structure erected. The original granite lintel stone dated 1827 was rescued and placed in this new factory.
Source: Building Plaque