“In 1889 the County Commission voted to move to County Court House to Woodsville, from Haverhill Corner. Woodsville was growing rapidly since the railroad had arrived.”
“Ira Whitcher owned the land between his home and the YMCA and offered it as a central lot on which to build the new court house. The depot was just around the corner on Central Street. The location was approved and Mr. Whitcher’s gift was accepted. The building was completed in 1890, the same year the Opera Block was finished.”
“Ira Whitcher came from Benton and operated a saw mill on the far end on Mill Street. It was called Whitcher and Patee and they were a major producer of sawed lumber for many years.”
“Whitcher was extremely generous when it came to the development of Woodsville. He not only donated the land but built the Whitcher Library and contributed a quantity of books. Mr. Whitcher also built and personally finance , at low rates, many of the homes in Woodsville!”
Today, the Old County Courthouse is privately owned with several businesses now located there.