As part of our Building History series, we will take a look at 47 Central St. in the village of Woodsville which is part of the town of Haverhill, New Hampshire. Each of these posts will also become the “building description” found with each building in their respective town picture gallery. Many of these initial posts will be from this town because we are drawing from the rich on-line historical resources from White Mountain Trader (used with permission).
“47 Central St. is known as the “Henderson Hotel” and was completed in 1914. It was built by Cummings Construction for Mr. Henderson who had purchased the lot where the Parker House (pdf) stood, before the fire of 1912. Mr. Henderson needed more space for his movie theater that he owned located further down Central St. near the Connecticut River.”
“Interestingly, the building was built with a roof the slopes down from the sides to the middle where the water runs off through drain pipes.”
Alert! The Henderson Hotel has fallen on hard times. After serving as apartments and retail shops, the building has gone into foreclosure and is now listed for $149,000. It is vacant and boarded-up desperately awaiting restoration . . . anyone?
Update August 2014: The Henderson Hotel did find new owners that have been investing in the building. It is by no means a finished product, but has been significantly improved.