Vermont: Page 5

See our full list of Historic Road Markers in Maine, New Hampshire, and Vermont


View Northern New England Historical Road Markers in a larger map

“The Charles Fantoni Roundabout”

Found at the junction of State Route 302 and State Route 110 in Barre, Vermont

Inscription: “Dedicated February 3, 2009 The Town of Barre honors long time resident Charles Fantoni May 10, 1927 – April 6 2009 for his commitment to public service. For over 40 years Charlie has been an active resident of Barre Town. From his dedication to the East Barre Fire District to his work on various town committees he is a valued fixture of our community. Charlie’s commitment to civic participation exemplifies volunteer community service and an unmatched enthusiasm to be admired for years to come.”

Picture of The Charles Fantoni Roundabout Marker in Barre Vermont

“The Charles Fantoni Roundabout”

Picture of The Charles Fantoni Roundabout in Barre Vermont

The Charles Fantoni Roundabout in Barre, Vermont

“William Scott Memorial”

Found on State Route 302 in Groton, Vermont

Inscription: “In memory of William Scott the sleeping sentinel pardoned by Abraham Lincoln Sept. 9th, 1861. Born on this farm Apr. 9th, 1839. Enl. in Co. K, 3rd. Vt. Vol. July 10th, 1861. Died of wounds at Lees Mills Apr. 16th, 1862. Erected by the William Scott Memorial Association of Groton, VT.”

Picture of The William Scott Memorial in Groton Vermont

The William Scott Memorial

“Woodstock”

Found in the Town Common on State Route 4 in Woodstock, Vermont

Inscription (side 1): “Was chartered by New Hampshire Royal Governor Benning Wentworth in 1761. It was named the Shire Town of Windsor County in 1786 and quickly became a prosperous manufacturing and commercial center. The town has been home to George Perkins Marsh, environmentalist; Frederick Billings, railroad empire-builder; Senator Jacob Collamer, advisor to President Lincoln; and Laurance Rockefeller, conservationist and philanthropist. It was the birthplace of Hiram Powers, noted sculptor of “Greek Slave.” From 1826 to 1856, it hosted one of only six medical colleges in New England, the Vermont Medical College.”

Inscription (side 2): “Woodstock was the terminus of the Woodstock Railway, 1877-1933, which connected the town to the Central Vermont Railroad in White River Junction. Travelers coming to Woodstock via the railway established the town’s reputation as a tourist destination, still prevalent today. Called “the prettiest small town in America” by a national publication, Woodstock is famous for the architecture of its houses and churches. It is the site of the first ski-tow in the United States, in 1934, home to the Marsh-Billings-Rockefeller National Historical Park and remains the only town in America with 5 church bells case by Paul Revere & Co.”

Picture of VT Road Marker Woodstock Woodstock I

“Woodstock (side 1)”

Picture of VT Road Marker Woodstock Woodstock II

“Woodstock (side 2)”

“Justin Morgan”

Found on State Route 4 in Woodstock, Vermont

Inscription: “On this site the progenitor of the famous Morgan breed of horses was owned by Sheriff William Rice about 1800. Justin Morgan took his name from that of the singing schoolmaster who originally brought him to Vermont, but who lost possession of the later famous horse to Sheriff Rice in payment of a debt.” 

Picture of VT Road Marker Justin Morgan Woodstock

“Justin Morgan”

“Site of First Ski Tow in the United States”

Found on State Route 12 in Woodstock, Vermont

Inscription: “In January, 1934, on this pasture hill of Clinton Gilbert’s farm an endless-rope tow, powered by a Model “T” Ford engine, hauled skiers uphill for the first time. This ingenious contraption launched a new era in winter sports.”

Picture of VT Road Marker First Ski Tow Woodstock

“Site of First Ski Tow in the United States”

“Hiram Powers”

Found on Church Hill Road in Woodstock, Vermont

Inscription: “Hiram Powers, one of the most famous nineteenth century sculptors, was born in 1805 in a farmhouse that stood on this hillside. Although he went west with his family at a young age, and took up residence in Florence, Italy, in 1837, Powers always referred to Woodstock as his home town. He said of his most famous work, “The Greek Slave” (the first nude female sculpture ever displayed in the U.S.), that he had dreamt of her rising from the mists of the Ottauquechee River. He died in Italy in 1873, leaving a body of work that included statues of such American heroes as: Andrew Jackson, Daniel Webster, John Quincy Adams, Thomas Jefferson, and Benjamin Franklin. Today, his works are in private collections and at such museums as the Louvre, the Metropolitan, and the Smithsonian.”

Picture of VT Road Marker Hiram Powers Woodstock

“Hiram Powers”

“Paul Revere Bell”

Found on Elm Street in Woodstock, Vermont

Inscription: “Installed in the belfry of this church and dedicated to the Glory of God in 1818, it called to worship the faithful in Jesus Christ for 156 years.”

Picture of Paul Revere Bell Plaque in Woodstock Vermont

“Paul Revere Bell” Plaque

Picture of Paul Revere Bell in Woodstock Vermont

“Paul Revere Bell”

“Royalton and Woodstock Turnpike Marker”

Found on Elm Street in Woodstock, Vermont

Inscription: “Stone turnpike marker dated 1802 showing southern terminus of the Royalton and Woodstock Turnpike which opened for traffic in the spring of 1802.”

Picture of VT Road Marker Royalton and Woodstock Turnpike Woodstock

Royalton and Woodstock Turnpike Marker

“Middle Bridge over the Ottauquechee River”

Found on Mountain Avenue in Woodstock, Vermont

Inscription: “Several covered bridges spanned the Ottauquechee River at this point. The 1877 iron bridge which succeeded them was condemned in 1966. Estimates for a modern concrete and steel span started at $75,000, whereas this comparable wooden bridge was constructed for approximately $65,000. The State of Vermont paid 80% of the cost and the balance was raised by private subscription. Full State specifications of 15-ton capacity have been more than fulfilled. The roadway is 14′ 5″ with a 5′ sidewalk.”

Graton Associates of Ashland, N.H., the designers and builders, have had extensive experience in repairing and moving covered spans.  This was their first complete building project and it employs the Town Truss construction, named for the 19th century bridge designer, Ithiel Town. The span is the first truly authentic highway covered bridge to be built in either New Hampshire or Vermont since 1895.”

“There is no functional metal in the trusses, the lattice members being held in place with some 1,4000 trunnels, turned from 23 white oak trees from New Hampshire. The necessary 80,000 board feet fo lumber is mostly Douglas fir from Oregon.”

“The estimated weight of one side member is 19 tons. Total weight of the bridge is approximately 100 tons and the length of the bridge is 150 feet. It was assembled on Union St. and ox-drawn across the river on cribwork in June of 1969.”

“In May of 1974, on the night of the Firemen’s Ball, the bridge was set afire by a group of local youths. The roof and siding was destroyed and extensive damage was done to the lattice trusses on the north end. Fortunately, Mr. Graton’s genius was available for the intricate reconstruction, but the cost of repairs exceeded $87,000. Some few thousand of this was retrieved by court order as a percentage of wages during a two year period of those old enough to work.”

“Even after the fire, the State has rated the span at 16-ton capacity, and there is still no structural steel in the bridge.”

Picture of Middle Bridge Plaque in Woodstock Vermont

Middle Bridge Plaque

Picture of Middle Bridge in Woodstock Vermont

Middle Bridge in Woodstock, Vermont

Picture of View (Left) from Middle Bridge in Woodstock Vermont

View (Left) from Middle Bridge in Woodstock, Vermont

Picture of View (Right) from Middle Bridge in Woodstock Vermont

View (Right) from Middle Bridge in Woodstock, Vermont

“Court House Grounds & Park”

Found on Main Street in Saint Johnsbury, Vermont

Inscription: “On June 28, 1790, Jonathan Arnold donated the land now occupied by the courthouse and park to the “South Parish” of the village of St. Johnsbury for the use as a “Buryal Ground.”

“By 1855 the burial ground had fallen into disrepair. Families started transferring their dead to the newer Mt.  Pleasant Cemetery. St. Johnsbury’s 1856 designation as the Shire Town of Caledonia County required the construction of a County Courthouse. Thus, arrangements were made to transfer all human remains that were still in the old cemetery. The original grant was also changed to read:

“The piece of ground in said village heretofore used for a burying ground and from which the bodies interred there have recently been removed for the purpose of having erected thereon a County Courthouse.”

“In 1994, a decision was made to build an addition to the courthouse. Archaeological  investigations were conducted to ensure that no remaining bodies would be disturbed by the proposed construction. During studies from 1994 to 2000, 144 grave shafts were discovered and excavated and 28 full skeletons were exhumed. Of these only nine were adults. The remaining 19 were children and infants. Following scientific analysis, the remains were reburied in Mt. Pleasant Cemetery next to those who had been moved in the 1850’s. This memorial honors this early cemetery and those that were buried here.”

Picture of VT Road Marker Court House Grounds & Park St. Johnsbury

“Court House Grounds & Park”

See our full list of Historic Road Markers in Maine, New Hampshire, and Vermont

Please add your thoughtful comment . . .