Vermont: Page 2

See our full list of Historic Road Markers in Maine, New Hampshire, and Vermont


View Northern New England Historical Road Markers in a larger map

“Theodore N. Vail: Pioneer in Creating the Telephone Industry”

Found on the Lyndon State College campus in Lyndon, Vermont

Inscription: “Theodore N. Vail bought a farmhouse on this site in 1883. Continually enlarged by Vail, it became his permanent residence and office. Conferences held here culminated in the creation of hte American Telephone and Telegraph Company with Vail its president., who proceeded to develop the world’s first mass communication system.”

Picture of VT Road Marker Theodore N. Vail Lyndon

“Theodore N. Vail”

“Vail Campus”

Found on Center Street in the village of Lyndon Center in the town of Lyndon, Vermont

Inscription: “Dedicated to the memory of Theodore Newton Vail (1849-1920), President of the American Telephone and Telegraph Company. A most generous benefactor of Lyndon Institute and Vail Agricultural School–one who had faith in the young people of this area and a firm belief in both the practical and liberal arts in education.”

Picture of Stone Marker Vail Campus Lyndon Vermont

“Vail Campus”

Picture of Lyndon Institute in Lyndon Vermont

Lyndon Institute in Lyndon, Vermont

“Fisher Bridge Wolcott, Vermont”

Found on State Route 15 in Wolcott, Vermont

Inscription: “This bridge, spanning the Lamoille River on the St. Johnsbury & Lamoille County R.R., is the last railroad covered bridge still in regular use in Vermont and one of a very few left in the U.S. Built in 1908, it is the only one remaining with full-length cupola, which provided a smoke escape. In 1968 the bridge was scheduled for destruction to make way for a new steel span. It was saved by placing heavy steel beams underneath. This preservation was achieved with State funds and with generous private donations raised by the Lamoile County Development Council.”

Note: This sign was erected in 1968 and is out-of-date in regards to the “bridge still in regular use” as the tracks leading to the bridge have since been removed.

Picture of VT Road Marker Fisher Bridge Wolcott

“Fisher Bridge Wolcott, Vermont”

Picture of Fisher Bridge Wolcott Vermont

Fisher Bridge in Wolcott, Vermont

“Greenbank’s Hallow A Forgotten Village”

Found at the junction of Greenbanks Hallow Road and Brook Road in Danville, Vermont

Inscription: “On this site, in 1849, Benjamin Greenbank converted an existing small mill into a 5-story woolen factory. As many as 45 people worked here to produce up to 700 yards of cloth a day. Greenbank’s Hallow, as it became known, included a company store, gristmill, sawmill, school, and several residences nearly all owned by Greenbank.”

“On December 14, 1885, a fire at the mill quickly spread and destroyed the village including the covered bridge. Greenbank did not rebuild and today only the foundations of mills and homes remain–mute testimony to the existence of a once thriving and important Danville community.”

Picture of VT Road Marker Greenbanks Hallow A Forgotten Village Danville, Vermont

“Greenbanks Hallow A Forgotten Village”

Picture of Greenbanks Hallow Mill Foundation in Danville, Vermont

Greenbanks Hallow Mill Foundation in Danville, Vermont

Picture of Greenbanks Hallow Covered Bridge in Danville, Vermont

Greenbanks Hallow Covered Bridge in Danville, Vermont

Picture of Greenbanks Hallow Cellar Hole in Danville, Vermont

Greenbanks Hallow Cellar Hole in Danville, Vermont

“Runaway Pond”

Found at rest area on State Route 16 in Glover, Vermont

Inscription: “On this site, on June 6, 1810 settlers dug an outlet to the north from what was then known as Long Pond. The retaining bank collapsed, causing all water from the 1.5-mile long pond to be discharged toward Barton River, and on to Lake Memphremagog, with extensive damage to the countryside, but no loss of life.”

Picture of VT Road Marker Runaway Pond Glover

“Runaway Pond”

Picture of Runaway Pond Rest Area Glover Vermont

Runaway Pond Rest Area Glover, Vermont

“Long Pond/Runaway Pond/Dry Pond”

Found at rest area on State Route 16 in Glover, Vermont

Inscription (side 1): “In 1810 the water level of Long Pond was 70 feet above this marker and the water flowed south into Greensboro and the Lamoille River. Needing more water to power Aaron Willson’s grist mill in Glover, 60 men and boys dug a ditch on the north shore (about .5 miles north of here) to cause water to flow into the Glover/Barton River. Due to the Quicksand in the earth, the entire hillside washed away and the pong “ran-a-way” discharging its billion gallons of water toward the mill in 1.5 hours. Spencer Chamberlain raced ahead of the wall of water for 5 miles and saved the Miller’s wife. Glover Historical Society 1996″

Inscription (side 2): “Runaway Pond commemoration of the breaking away of Long Pond on June 6, 1810 erected by the Town of Glover June 6, 1910”

Stone Marker Runaway Pond Glover, Vermont II

Stone Marker Runaway Pond Glover, Vermont II

Picture of Stone Marker Runaway Pond Glover Vermont I

Stone Marker Runaway Pond Glover, Vermont I

 “Vermont: Major Cross-State Route”

Found at the intersection of State Route 2 and 102 in Guildhall, Vermont at bridge crossing over the Connecticut River to Lancaster, New Hampshire

Inscription: “U.S. 2 is the major highway between the Atlantic and Lake Champlain. It leads through St. Johnsbury, the maple sugar center, down the Winooski River to Montpelier, through the tallest mountains at Bolton Gorge to Lake Champlain at Burlington, University center and the state’s largest city.”

Picture of VT Road Marker Vermont Major Cross-State Route Guildhall

“Vermont Major Cross-State Route”

“1st Normal School: Pioneer in Teacher Training”

Found on State Route 2 in Concord, Vermont

Inscription: “The first recognized school fro the purpose of training teachers was conducted near here by the Rev. Samuel Read Hall, 1823-25. Practice teaching was employed, with ‘Lectures on Schoolkeeping,’ which became in 1829, the first professional book for teachers.”

Picture of VT Road Marker 1st Normal School Concord

“1st Normal School”

“Constitution House”

Found on State Route 4 in Windsor, Vermont

Inscription: “Windsor, settled in 1764, became the political center of the Upper Connecticut River Valley. Here the Constitution of the “Free and Independent State of Vermont” was adopted at the tavern of Elijah West on July 8, 1777. This constitution was the first to prohibit slavery and establish universal manhood suffrage. Vermont was an independent republic until 1791, when it was admitted into the Union as the 14th state.”

Picture of VT Road Marker Constitution House Windsor

“Constitution House”

Picture of Constitution House in Windsor Vermont

Constitution House in Windsor, Vermont

“Elmbank: Home of Charles Ross Taggart ‘The Old Country Fiddler'”

Found on State Route 5 in Newbury, Vermont

Inscription: “Born on March 19, 1871, Charles Ross Taggart, “The Man From Vermont,” grew up in Topsham, VT and in 1907 moved his family to this house which he named Elmbank. Beginning in 1895, Taggart, a humorist and musician, traveled all over the U.S. entertaining in lyceum and Chautauqua circuits with his fiddle and stories. His most recognized character was “The Old Country Fiddler,” and his credits include over 40 recordings and a 1923 Phono-File–one of the earliest “talkies.” Taggart retired in 1938, selling his beloved Elmbank and relocating with family out of state. He died in Kents Hill, ME. on July 4th, 1953.”

Picture of VT Road Marker Elmbank Newbury

“Elmbank”

Picture of Elmbank in Newbury Vermont

Elmbank in Newbury, Vermont

See our full list of Historic Road Markers in Maine, New Hampshire, and Vermont

Please add your thoughtful comment . . .