New Hampshire: Page 10

See our full list of Historic Road Markers in Maine, New Hampshire, and Vermont


View Northern New England Historical Road Markers in a larger map

“Blue Star Memorial Highway”

Found at closed rest stop on State Routes 202/4 in Epsom, New Hampshire

Inscription: “A tribute to the Armed Forces that have defended the United States of America sponsored by New Hampshire Federation of Garden Clubs, Inc. in cooperation with New Hampshire Highway Department”

Picture of NH Road Marker Blue Star Memorial Highway

“Blue Star Memorial Highway”

“Bridges House: Governor’s Residence”

Found on State Route 132 in Concord, New Hampshire

Inscription: “This house, on land long occupied by Revolutionary Veteran Joshua Thompson, was built by Charles Graham about 1836. Styles Bridges, Governor of New  Hampshire (1935-36) and U.S. Senator for 25 years thereafter, lived here from 1946 until his death. Left to the State upon the death of his widow, it became in 1969 the Governor’s official residence.”

Picture of NH Road Marker Bridges House Concord

“Bridges House: Governor’s Residence”

“Andrew Jackson’s Visit”

 Found at the Park & Ride lot on State Route 3A in Bow, New Hampshire

Inscription: “Just north of this point, on the boundary between Bow and Concord a large cavalcade of enthusiastic citizens met President Jackson and escorted him to New Hampshire’s Capital. His official reception by the State Government on the following day, June 29, 1833, marked the conclusion of a triumphal New England tour.”

Picture of NH Road Marker Andrew Jackson's Visit Bow

“Andrew Jackson’s Visit”

“The Concord Coach”

Found at the junction of State Routes 3 and 3A in Concord, New Hampshire

Inscription: “The Abbot-Downing Company began in 1813 when Lewis Downing founded a “waggon” factory, located here from 1816 to 1928. In 1828 he was joined by J. Stephens Abbot. The next century saw 14 styles of “stage” coaches, the most famous being the Concord Coach, and 40 styles of commercial and pleasure vehicles carrying the name of Concord all over the United States and around the world.”

Picture of NH Road Marker The Concord Coach Concord

“The Concord Coach”

“Sunset Baseball”

Found in White Park in Concord, New Hampshire

Inscription: “The Sunset Leaque, the oldest after-supper amateur baseball league in the United States, was officially organized here at White Park in 1909. The original teams were the Hay-makers, the Old Timers, the Sluggers and the White Parks. Rich in history and tradition, the league was the training ground for stars such as Red Rolfe of the New York Yankees. Games continue on the original site.”

Picture of NH Road Marker Sunset Baseball Concord

“Sunset Baseball”

“Lafayette’s Tour

Found at the Town Hall in Northwood, New Hampshire

Inscription: “Upon invitation of President Monroe, issued at the request of the Congress, Marquis de Lafayette Revolutionary War hero, revisited the United States for a goodwill tour which included an extensive visit to New Hampshire towns. He passed this spot June 23, 1825, traveling between Concord and Dover.”

Picture of NH Road Marker Lafayette's Tour Northwood

“Lafayette’s Tour”

“Northwood Parade 1775”

Found at the Town Hall in Northwood, New Hampshire

Inscription: “Site of Meeting House 1781 – 1847; Center School House 1793 – 1906; Town House 1847; Shoe Shop ca. 1880 moved here – 1968; First N.H. Turnpike 1802”

Picture of NH Road Marker Northwood Parade Northwood

“Northwood Parade”

Picture of Shoe Shop in Northwood New Hampshire

Shoe Shop in Northwood, New Hampshire

“Deputy Sheriff Charles E. Smith: 1843 – 1891”

Found on State Route 202 in Barrington, New Hampshire

Inscription: “On May 6, 1891, Strafford County Deputy Sheriff Charles E. Smith was shot in the hip while apprehending a horse thief. The wounded Deputy insisted that the thief not be lynched. Smith succumbed to his wounds on May 23, 1891. A Civil War veteran, Smith was one of Barrington’s Selectmen, had been town clerk and representative in the legislature as well as a prominent businessman. A tribute published by the Manchester Union on May 25, 1891, said “He died in defense of the law and in the attempt to do his duty.”

Picture of NH Road Marker Deputy Sheriff Charles E. Smith Barrington

“Deputy Sheriff Charles E. Smith: 1843 – 1891”

“Arched Bridge”

Found on North Main Street in Rochester, New Hampshire

Inscription: “Designed and built between 1881 and 1883 by SilaHussey, Jr. (1828 – 1913), this bridge is unique in New Hampshire in having heavy brick arches faced with split granite. Its fifty-foot width was exceptional for the time. Hussey was a local quarryman and stonecutter who also designed Rochester’s Civil War monument. He buit the three-arched bridge for a contract price of $13,800, subcontracting the bricklaying to Henry J. Wilkinson (1848 – 1899) of Rochester, a British born mason.”

Picture of NH Road Marker Arched Bridge Rochester

“Arched Bridge”

Picture of Arched Bridge Rochester New Hampshire

Arched Bridge in Rochester, New Hampshire

“The Spaulding Brothers”

Found on Wakefield Street in Rochester, New Hampshire

Inscription: “At nearby Rochester were the homes of the Spaulding Brothers, Huntley N. (1869 – 1955) and Rolland H. (1873 – 1942). Both served ably as governors of New Hampshire and in other important posts of public service. They were among the foremost industrialists and philanthropists of their times.”

Picture of NH Road Marker The Spaulding Brothers Rochester

“The Spaulding Brothers”

See our full list of Historic Road Markers in Maine, New Hampshire, and Vermont

Please add your thoughtful comment . . .