As part of our building history series, today we take a look at the Milliken Block in Waterville, Maine:
In 1866 the Waterville National Bank purchased a wooden building on this site and hired Architect Moses Coburn Foster, a Waterville citizen, to design a bank. The bank failed in 1879-80. After the bank’s failure the building became known as the Milliken Block in honor of Dennis L. Milliken, a prominent local citizen and banker who died in 1879.
O. J. Giguere bought the building in the early 1900s and the “G” lead glass windows for Giguere’s Clothing are still present today. At one time Atkins Print Shop occupied the premises, and later the Silver Street Tavern. Today the Midnight Blues Club occupies the first floor and offices and residences are on the upper floors.
Source: Waterville Main Street