As part of our weekly building history series, today we take a look at “Fort Wilkins” in Pittsfield, New Hampshire:
“The first stove and tin shop in Pittsfield was located here c. 1836. The building was acquired by the infamous “Dr.” G.G. Wilkins in 1866 and became known as Ft. Wilkins. Here he sold firearms and animal pelts, practiced tooth filling and extractions as an adjunct to barbering and hair dressing, and kept an eating house and saloon. Out front he kept a caged bear and in his spare time counterstamped thousands of coins which are collectors items today. He was twice convicted of illegally selling liquor, but discharged in a notorious case for allegedly hiring a man to burn the barn of A.J. Sherburne.”
Source: Building Plaque.
Note: This website has an example of Dr. G.G. Wilkins counterstamped coins.