The town of Hardwick, Vermont has been added to the town picture galleries. Enjoy!
There are now 26 towns featured in the town picture gallery.
Also, we have a bonus building history to add: The Jeudevine Memorial Library
“On February 10, 1888, Alden Jeudevine died. Since he had long wanted to do something to benefit his hometown, his widow, Malvina Jeudevine, had the Jeudevine Memorial Library built.”
“The preface to this was the recognition by the members of Vermont’s General Assembly that libraries were a necessary and important part of any community so that they passed “An Act to Promote the Establishment of Free Public Libraries” in 1894. In turn, the Legislature appointed a State Library Commission. In that year the Vermont State Legislature encouraged towns which had no public libraries to start collections.”
“If a town appropriated sufficient funds and elected five trustees for their public library, the State Library Commission then selected and sent a book collection worth $110. In 1895 Hardwick accepted this proposal and the Hathaway Free Public Library was organized. The State Library Commission sent books. Judge N.V.B.Hathaway bought $50 more of books.”
“Then Malvina contracted with Lambert Packard to design and build a new library. Packard was an architect employed by the Fairbanks Company in St. Johnsbury. He designed many buildings in Vermont, including the Bradford Library, the Billings Museum at the University of Vermont, the Fairbanks Museum, and he built, but did not design, the St. Johnsbury Atheneaum, which was designed by John Davis Hatch.”
“The Jeudevine is built in dark brownstone brought up from the quarries of Libby, Massachusetts. Only the foundation is made of the local granite. Packard was a student of Henry Hobson Richardson and he followed the Romanesque design that Richardson had made famous in many public buildings. Indeed, the plan of the Jeudevine Memorial Library is similar to the Richardson plan of the Quincy ( Massachusetts) Public Library.”
“All around the stonework of the building, both inside and outside, are lovely carvings produced by Hardwick stone cutter, Bert Reed. There are 9 original stained glass windows which ornament and light up the high ceilings. The inside is very light, due to the abundance of windows, the height of the ceilings and the golden oak walls. There are portraits of Malvina and Alden and a portrait engraving of Corneilius on view inside.”
“The building was finished. The Select Board called a special town meeting on December 15, 1897 and accepted the gift from Mrs. Jeudevine. The Dedication of the library was held at the Hardwick Academy (no longer standing) and was attended by a full house.”