The town of Peterborough, New Hampshire has been added to the town picture galleries. Enjoy!
There are now 25 towns featured in the town picture gallery.
Also, we have a bonus building history to add: Derby’s Store.
“For over a century, Derby’s was the place to go for everything a family might need from dry goods to hardware, groceries to farm equipment and footwear to housewares. At the turn of the century, John H. Derby bought a quarter share from the Goodnow brothers who had established a mercantile under their name and thus began a business that would become a cornerstone for the growth of Peterborough.”
“In 1908, John and his brother George gained a majority interest and by the 1920’s the Derby brothers had expanded their stock to include grain, lumber and building materials and had opened stores in West Peterborough, Temple, Antrim, Hillsborough, Henniker, as well as Ashby and Sterling MA.”
“Continuing the family legacy, sons Carl and Clarence joined the business in 1929 and carried it through the Depression and WWII with great business acumen. They incorporated in 1933 and changed the name to Derby’s Stores, Inc.”
“Derby’s continued as a true department store into the 1970’s offering innovative marketing and a wide selection of goods. In 1978, after forty-nine years in the retail business, Clarence Derby retired leaving the legacy to his sons John and Charles.”
“After being sold in the 1980’s Derby’s closed its doors for good in 1989.”
“Erected by the Peterborough Historical Society and the Town of Peterborough, 2007”
“Selectboard Joe Byk, Elizabeth M. Thomas, Barbara A. Miller”
Source: Building Plaque