“Hallowell House (a.k.a. Worster House; 1832). Designed by John D. Lord, the 50-room structure once housed the post office and a bank in its basement. Guests in the hotel’s renowned dining room included Ralph Waldo Emerson, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, Daniel Webster, and thousands of travelling salesmen. On September 4, 1959, the hotel closed its doors and the building was converted into apartments.”
Note that the building just underwent a major renovation . . . it appears to have been high-quality so let’s hope no history was lost in the process. Does anyone know anything about the extent of these renovations?